On the phone with Gay Talese


Gay Talese 

 (Janet Knott/Boston Globe)

“I don’t have time to talk,” said Gay Talese, the only person I was scheduled to interview yesterday for my story about the mafioso Salvatore “Bill” Bonanno, who died of a heart attack this past Tuesday.

It was the last thing I was prepared to hear. Talese had rushed me off the phone when I first called to schedule the interview, and I had spent the interim time preparing, in part by skimming through his book “Honor Thy Father,” which chronicled the rise and fall of the Bonanno family.

So when I heard those words, after almost two days of research, I did the only thing I could do to save my story: I begged.

I pleaded with him to stay on the phone and told him it would take just five minutes, or really, any amount of time he could give me. I would have offered to wash his car if I thought it would have persuaded him.

“You know I wrote a book about this, right?” he asked. He sounded so irritated. I was terrified that he was going to hang up on me, but I forced myself to ask him again for just a few minutes of his time. There was no way I was returning to the newsroom without a quote from him.

It felt like hours, but it was actually only about a minute before I could sense Talese giving in to my pleading. He sighed as he said he wouldn’t allow the interview to drag, and then he said, “Turn on the tape recorder now.”

It lasted five minutes, but it was all I needed. After I told Talese that I had read his book, he gave me some great insight about who Bonanno was.

I was still rattled after the interview was over, but it felt good, as if I’d completed a rite of passage. I even got some compliments from the pros at The New York Times.

Preparation was key. I had prepared for two days for two questions, but it didn’t matter. I had asked the right ones, and I got my story.

— Yolanne Almanzar


2 Responses to “On the phone with Gay Talese”

  1. Laura Rivera Says:

    Hello Yolanne:

    Fabulous job getting Talese to talk. You truly have the spirit of a reporter. Your story was chock full of details, context, and had some lovely turns of phrase. I’m looking forward to reading more of your stories.

    Welcome to the family, as Don likes to say. I completed the institute last winter in Miami, and it was a transformative experience for me. I hope you are enjoying it and learning every day. Now I work as a reporter at Newsday, a paper in Long Island. Feel free to keep in touch, peace, Laura

  2. Yudy Says:

    Way to go. I must say though, I’m quite curious: Knowing you had limited time, what questions did you ask?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: